This page is a work in progress. Please check back regularly for more links to resources for making the most of your time at CSUMB!
STAY INFORMED: Psychology Department Contact Information
- CSUMB Psychology Department Website
- CSUMB Psychology Faculty, Staff, & Advising
- CSUMB Psychology Faculty Research Labs
- CSUMB Library
- Also, check your Dashboard for campus events and your CSUMB e-mail for weekly Psychology Department Newsletters!
- APA Psychology Learning Goals and Outcomes
- APA Psychology Student Network Articles – Stories and career information written for students
FLOURISH AT CSUMB: On-Campus Support/Resources
- CSUMB Career Development
- CSUMB Center for Advising, Career and Student Success
- CSUMB College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)
- CSUMB Cooperative Learning Center (Formerly ASAP)
- CSUMB Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
- CSUMB Guardian Scholars Program for Former Foster Youth
- CSUMB TRiO Student Support Services
- CSUMB Financial Aid
- CSUMB Student Disability Resources (SDR)
- CSUMB Personal Growth & Counseling Center (PGCC)
- CSUMB Campus Health Center
- CSUMB Veteran Student Services
- CSUMB Title IX/Discrimination, Harassment, & Retaliation Information
- CSUMB Policies
- More Resources: 52 Mental Health Resources for Disabled People, POC, LBGTQ Folks, and More
EXPAND YOUR EXPERTISE: Consider Whether a Minor is Right For You
- Business or Business Administration or Nonprofit Management
- May be useful for those going into private practice, nonprofit work, and/or industrial/organizational psychology careers.
- If you only have time for one business class, consider BUS 350: Financial Literacy.
- Computer Science or Statistics
- May be useful for those going into research-oriented careers.
- Introduction to R – Free Online Course
- Probability & Statistics – Free Online Course
- More Free Advanced Statistics Webinars (The Analysis Factor)
- Community Health Education or Health and Wellness or Human Movement or International Health Policy
- May be useful for those going into occupational therapy, physical therapy, health psychology, and sport psychology careers.
- Human Development or Education
- May be useful for those planning to work with children and adolescents.
- May be useful for those going into forensic psychology or legal careers.
- Social Work
- May be useful for those going into social work and other applied careers.
- Spanish Language and Hispanic Cultures, Japanese Language and Culture, and Other World Languages & Cultures Minors
- May be useful for those interested in serving diverse populations, including native Spanish and Japanese speakers.
- Visual and Public Art
- May be useful for those going into art therapy careers.
*Note: This is a non-comprehensive list of minors at CSUMB. See csumb.edu/academics for a comprehensive list. Please consult with your academic advisor and contact departments directly to inquire about availability of required classes, the application process, and additional details.
“I HAVE NEVER LET MY SCHOOLING INTERFERE WITH MY EDUCATION” -mark twain
Consider Looking Into City College of San Francisco’s Community Health Worker (CHW) Certification Program
- City College CHW Certification Program (5 Certificate Options)
- Full List of City College Certificate Programs
- City College Offers Free Tuition for San Francisco Residents)
Consider Enrolling in Free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) to Expand Your Knowledge
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Harvard Extension School
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Yale University Open Courses
- List of a Variety of MOOCs
GET INVOLVED ON CAMPUS: Opportunities Outside of the Classroom
- CSUMB Activities & Leadership Development
- CSUMB Psychology Society
- CSUMB Psi Chi Chapter
- CSUMB Undergraduate Research Opportunities Center (UROC)
- CSUMB Mental Health Training Opportunities (e.g., QPR, Mental Health First Aid)
- CSUMB OC3 Queer/Trans Peer Mentoring Program (QTPM)
- CSUMB P.O.W.E.R. Peer Health Educators
GET INVOLVED OFF CAMPUS: A Few of the Many Possibilities in the Community
Companies with Tuition Benefits
- Together with Love Run/Walk – Benefiting Monterey Rape Crisis Center
- Get on the Bus (Talk with Dr. Burchett about getting involved)
Longer-Term Commitments (Remote)
- Crisis Text Line
- Voice of Health Peer Support (out of Australia so trainings are offered late at night in CA)
- Never Use Alone
- Trans Lifeline
Longer-Term Commitments (Local)
- CSUMB Service Learning Institute (Consider volunteering with local agencies listed, above and beyond your SL class requirements)
- Boys & Girls Club of Monterey County
- Christine Marie’s Star Riders
- City of Monterey (Library, Museum, Public Safety, etc.)
- Community Bridges (Santa Cruz County, including Watsonville)
- Community Hospital on the Monterey Peninsula
- Community Human Services
- Crisis Text Line
- Dorothy’s Place
- Encompass Community Services (Santa Cruz County, including Watsonville; paid positions, too!)
- The Epicenter
- Family Service Agency of the Central Coast
- Felton Institute (Headquartered in SF; Ask about Monterey satellite opportunities)
- Friends of the Marina Library
- Friends Outside
- Gateway Center
- Gathering for Women
- Girls, Inc. of the Central Coast
- Hope Services
- Immigration Task Force Monterey County
- Interim, Inc.
- Kinship Center
- Life Applied
- Loaves, Fishes, and Computers
- Monarch Services (Watsonville/Santa Cruz)
- Monkey Tail Ranch (Hollister)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Internships and Volunteer Opportunities
- Monterey Bay Horsemanship and Therapeutic Center
- Monterey County Reads (Panetta Institute)
- Monterey County Internship Program
- Monterey County Sheriff’s Office Internships
- Interested in Criminal Justice careers? Work on Projects with Enforcement Operations Bureau, Custody Operations Bureau, Administration, or the Coroner’s Unit
- Monterey County Sheriff’s Office Internships
- Monterey Rape Crisis Center
- Natividad Medical Center
- VA Palo Alto Health Care System (including Monterey area)
- Panetta Institute and Monterey County Reads
- Peacock Acres
- Rancho Cielo
- Restorative Justice Partners, Inc.
- Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System
- The SPCA for Monterey County
- Sun Street Centers
- Teen Kitchen Project (Santa Cruz)
- The Village Project, Inc.
- Thomas Carman Food Pantry
- Veterans Transition Center of Monterey County
- Wings Homeless Advocacy (Santa Cruz, Watsonville)
- Check out the CSUMB Sciences Internship Program for more ideas!
- Check out Idealist.org for more job, internship, and volunteer ideas!
- Check out SAM’s Guide to Monterey County Family Resources!
Long-Term and “Gap Year” Possibilities
- Voices for Children: CASA for Monterey County (18-month commitment)
- Looking for a year-long service experience? Consider helping Monterey County by applying to Americorps which includes the Americorps VIP Program that serves Monterey County. Applications are due annually in March.
- Also, consider City Year, which is also a year-long commitment.
- Casa de Esperanza (Houston, TX) offers a Hands of Hope Service Year.
- Psychology Job & Internship Opportunities (Nation-Wide)
- Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities (HACU) National Internship Program
- Panetta Institute Congressional Internship Program
Internship and Career Opportunities for Students at Large Silicon Valley (San Jose) Companies
Apply your broad psychology knowledge and data analytic skills in a variety of career paths!
- Adobe Career Information for Students
- Apple Career Information for Students
- Cisco Career Information for Students
- Ebay Career Information for Students
- Google Career Information for Students
- Hewlett Packard (HP) Career Information for Students
- Intel Career Information for Students
- Meta (Facebook) Career Information for Students
- Microsoft Career Information for Students
- Oracle Career Information for Students
- More Companies to Explore
*Note: Please contact agencies directly to inquire about availability of volunteer experiences, the application process, and additional details.